When the Great War (1914-18) ended, the strength of the Royal Marines was at an all-time high of 55,000 men. By 1935 the Corps had shrunk to 9,500 Marines with the amalgamation of the Royal Marine Artillery and the Royal Marine Light Infantry. All Marines now wore “blues” as their parade uniform topped off with the traditional white “pith” helment. With the joining of the two separate Marine units a new badge was adopted…the Globe and Laurel which all Royal Marines wear to this day. Our K&C Marine on Guard Duty carries the famous .303 SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield) with fixed sword bayonet.